Thursday 26 November 2009

40 Years of Sesame Street

I'm a little late with this, but Sesame Street turned 40 last week and it would be travesty not to mention it here. I remember watching Sesame Street as a child and and I can't really begin to express just how much of a lasting impact it has had on me. I credit it with being able to say the alphabet and write my name by the time I went to nursery school and still to this day I pronounce Z the Americanised 'Zee', rather than 'Zed', (it just makes more sense as it rhymes with 'T'). I regularly visit the Sesame Street website and play the videos for the Shugmeister, inclusing classic clips, and can't wait until he's old enough for the online games and activites.

Sesame Street Online
Sesame Tree Northern Ireland

Over the years the show has continued to educate and inform kids everywhere on a range of issues and still pulls in huge guest starts such as Michelle Obama, who appeared recently to talk about growing your own food. The environment has always played a big role, with various Muppets teaching the importance of everything from picking up litter to respecting the habitat of animals, but I've picked my personal favourite here, the greenest of all the Muppets (and the only one to appear on both Sesame Street and the Muppet Show fact fans), Kermit the Frog. Enjoy







Reb x

No comments:

Post a Comment